Vegan Strawberry Tart with Olive Oil Crust
* 1 ½ cups organic white pastry flour
* ½ cup soft stone ground whole wheat flour
* ½ cup hazelnut meal
* ¼ cup olive oil
* ¼ cup hazelnut oil
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* ½ cup cold water (perhaps a couple of tablespoons more if needed)
* 1 ¼ cup of sugar (separated)
* 4 cups of strawberries, hulled and sliced thinly,
* 2 teaspoons of cornstarch
* 1 cup strawberry jam
* zest of 1 lemon
* 1 tablespoon soymilk
* 1 tablespoon neutral flavored oil (like grapeseed)
- In a large bowl, mix pastry flour, wheat flour, hazelnut meal, salt, and 2/3 cup of the sugar until fully combined
- Mix in oils with a fork or pastry cutter until clumpy and mealy
- Add in water of half of the water at a time, slowly drizzling over the flour and fat mixture.
- Mix with your hand, gently, incorporating the water into the dough, add the rest of the water as needed working gently- working the dough as little as possible until the dough takes form and sticks together as a slightly tacky ball.
- Split into two parts and leave to sit in bowl at room temperature for at least one hour.
- Mix strawberries with corn starch, lemon zest, and 1/3 cup of sugar until cornstarch is no longer visible and allow to rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, then drain excess liquid through strainer.
- After at least one hour has split each dough ball into two (for miniature tarts) or leave whole for larger tarts. Roll out on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper- this makes it easy to transfer to your baking sheet. You can roll it out very thinly or leave it a bit thicker and enjoy its hazelnut cookie like flavor.
- Once you have your dough rolled out, spoon the jam out equally, leaving a border around the edges of the tart. For a full sized tart, leave a 1 ½ -2 inch border for tartelettes, leave a ½ – ¾ inch border. I like to trim the rough edges with a paring knife, but it is not necessary.
- Place a pile of strawberries in the center of the tart and then fuss with them until they look pretty—or you can be organized and line them up in a beautiful and orderly fashion. Alas I guess I’m not that kind of girl, because every time I do that, I end up feeling like it’s just not me and messing it up on purpose in the end!
- Finally, fold the edges up and crimp into place. Repeat with each piece of dough.
- Preheat oven to 350º (for at least 20 minutes) and place the tarts in the freezer to set up while your oven is preheating.
- Beat the soy milk and grapeseed oil and brush edges of tart dough. This is your vegan “egg wash”
- Sprinkle your tarts, including the edges with remaining sugar and bake for 30 minutes, brushing the edges again with your “egg wash” in the last five minutes of baking.
- Make sure the crust is done and nice and golden, otherwise continue baking.
- Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy with a crisp cool glass of Italian Rose.
- apuzzleofathousandpieces likes this
- dontlistentotheworldlistentogod reblogged this from yummyvegan
- accallejas reblogged this from yummyvegan
- accallejas likes this
- 1-un-broken-lady likes this
- repeating-my-apologies reblogged this from yummyvegan
- awko-jazo likes this
- manicpixievegan reblogged this from yummyvegan
- stmml02 likes this
- food-porn-obsession reblogged this from yummyvegan
- cocodura likes this
- 1dbrilliamazayn likes this
- aarbeixmeisie reblogged this from yummyvegan
- lanuitdesfleurs likes this
- morequinoa likes this
- eatplease reblogged this from yummyvegan
- miskared likes this
- kinless likes this
- bonnietheloser reblogged this from viva-la-veganism
- takenothing likes this
- mother-of-kittens reblogged this from cptn-tyin-knots
- skinnyminimilf reblogged this from yummyvegan
- jerseygovegan reblogged this from yummyvegan
- eatcishets reblogged this from coquelicots-et-jonquilles
- middlemarching likes this
- coquelicots-et-jonquilles reblogged this from yummyvegan
- spaghetti-for-brains likes this
- eyeshalfshut likes this
- fluffybuttercream likes this
- jessica-erin likes this
- liftandlooklighter reblogged this from fitgirlsfortheworld and added:
- rachellax reblogged this from bestiesnotestes
- bonnietheloser likes this
- muscularcoatlicue reblogged this from fitgirlsfortheworld
- clurah likes this
- allmustbewell likes this
- curves-and-cucumbers reblogged this from fitgirlsfortheworld
- igniteb0nes reblogged this from fitgirlsfortheworld
- becauseweirdisfun likes this
- postitphotography reblogged this from fitgirlsfortheworld
- liftandlooklighter likes this
- dance-intheforest likes this
- hotfitandtoned likes this
- 52poundsand5months reblogged this from fitgirlsfortheworld
- fitgirlsfortheworld reblogged this from to-be-my-own-vegan-fitness-hero
- to-be-my-own-vegan-fitness-hero reblogged this from veganfeast
- les-simper reblogged this from yummyvegan
- woopsidaisy reblogged this from yummyvegan
- hopefullyraw likes this